Pages

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Quick review of some recent hauls

Before diving head-long into my color cosmetic faves, I thought I would take a detour and describe/review some of my recent makeup purchases. I tend to like to keep things 'new' which only results in them not getting used as I forget about them when the next new thing comes along. I've decided that's probably not a good long-term strategy, so I'm now trying things out as I buy them to decide if I'm going to keep them and whether they'll be 'instant favorites'.

MUFE Aqua Cream Waterproof Cream Color: OK, I jumped on the hype bandwagon for these and immediately ordered 3 from Sephora as a VIB. I got #6 (a medium-toned pink with gold-ish shimmer), #13 (a true champagne shimmer) and #16 (a warm pink shimmer). The first time I used these as a shadow base, I was less than thrilled. They were patchy. I had problems blending them. But my shadow stayed put. I just wasn't happy with the result. So I took them out again today, determined to like them. Tried them with a different brush than that which I used on my eyes. Still streaky, still patchy. Bummer. Guess I'll have to return them. Then, an epiphany ~ perhaps I should try to use them with my finger? I don't really like sticking my finger in my cream 'stuff', but sometimes you just have to say, what the heck, right? I swatched # 16 on my hand, et voila!! Beautiful color payoff, smooth as a baby's bum. And vibrant. Woo hoo!!!! I'm a happy girl (as I also have 3 more on order from Sephora). Now if I can just get past that finger thing.....maybe I'll experiment with different brushes and see what happens, but for now, the finger is the way to go ;).

Benefit Coralista: Where have I been? This is a GORGEOUS coral blush! It goes on smoothly and is just the perfect color to go with this season's 'it' color! I have MAC's blush ombre in Ripe Peach, but I have to say I am favoring Coralista at the moment......yummy!

NYX 10 Color Eyeshadow Palette The Runway Collection #07 Versus: I bought this palette originally because I was traveling quite a bit, and it was just too bothersome to bring my MAC shadows (not to mention too hard to decide which ones to bring). I'm quite anal retentive when it comes to travel planning (my wardrobe, my cosmetics) and I needed to cut down on the stress and number of things I was packing. This particular palette is beautiful! It has multiple shades of browns and purples, and the texture is really good. I've done a few days' worth of looks with this collection, and I always get compliments. If I'm in a hurry and don't want to think about what should go with what, I reach for this and know I'll have a great look in a pinch.

Chanel Joues Contraste Blush in Rose Petale: What can I say? This is an ideal blush color, complete with the Chanel-renowned texture and pigment. It is the perfect shade of rose, not too dark, not too light, with just a hint of shimmer. Perfection in a compact.

Chanel Aqualumiere Lipstick in Papeete: This has been a staple in my purse since I bought it. It is the most beautiful pomegranite color on my lips, with the typical AL sparkle. I love this color!!

Urban Decay Eyeshadow in Woodstock: This is one of the new collection of 6 shadows this season from UD. It is a vivid fuchsia color, a couple of tones brighter than MAC's Cranberry (which is one of my ALL-time favorites!!). I used it yesterday as part of a fun, bright, ready-for-summer eye, and I have to say I'm really glad I got it. It is very pigmented, and is a color that I have been more or less looking for, having been disappointed in a number of 'similar' shadows I have - none of them has this color payoff and intensity. I cannot wait to wear it with colors like Moth Brown and Satin Taupe, or as part of a purple look. Very worthwhile purchase!

LORAC Baked Matte Satin Blush in Flaunt: I immediately stashed this blush in my Sephora basket when I went past the LORAC gondola. I have a couple of other colors in this formulation, and I'm a fan. This color is a bright candy pink color, reminiscent of a Lancome color I had in high school (and still have in my stash of fame) called 'Tropink'. Flaunt is vivid in the pan, and is quite pigmented, so lighter-handed is much better. I'm not sure why Carol calls these 'matte' because they are not. They have a nice shimmer to them without being frosty. I love this color. I definitely have too many blushes to choose from.....gah!!!!! But this is a keeper!!

That's it from my end for today. I hope you are maybe inspired to step out and try something new and different!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaw, Shypo, you'll get over the "finger thing"! It really is the best technique for the aqua creams. They are just incredible. I own 5 with one on the way.

I've been wanting to try that lorac baked blush for so long. I play with it every time I am in Sephora. I definitely must buy it at some point.

Shypo said...

LOL! Yes, I am quickly getting over it! I received my 2nd order yesterday, and oh my! I LOVE THEM!! I got #4 (the white) and holy cow, I cannot WAIT to use it!

The LORAC blushes are pretty cool......I know you'll end up with it! :D

Anonymous said...

I love your reviews. Completely agree about the travelling, I think everything out down to makeup and love NYX pallete, too.
Face2Mac

Asdhig said...

WOW Tropink, from Lancome. I too had that same blush in 1983( when I graduated high school) Do you know where I can ever find that color again??? Much appreciated!!!!

Post a Comment